Saturday, March 8, 2008

Singers and Writers

I think some of the coldest days have been in March, even more than December. Of course we aren't getting the 12 plus inches of snow I've been hearing about Chicago and Cincinnati. We think we saw some flurries a few days ago, but it could have been really slow rain.

But enough about the weather, what have we been up to? Well, earlier last week we treaded into forbidden territory, our neighbor cafe, Cafe Nero. They are featuring an artist named Jack Savoretti a singer/songwriter that my Combibos friends have known about for awhile. Martin was the only one who had listened to him before (of those of us who could go)- he was a little giddy and it didn't take long to see why. The guy just walked in really quietly, no introduction, picked up his guitar, and just started to sing. His lyrics and voice were really strong, I was impressed.

After two songs he was packing up and signing albums. Martin wanted to hear "Between the Minds" so I took the CDs up to be signed and asked if he was done singing."I think so." he said timidly with a smile. I asked him if he'd play the song for us- and not only did he stick around and sing it but he came and sat right down next to us and sang. What a nice fella.

Most of our time has been spent avoiding the cold while hanging out in cafes and pubs pouring over travel guide books, deciding where we are going to go this summer. My sister, Amanee, is coming to visit with her friend Sarah in May! We're planning on going to Paris. Ben's dad is considering a trip out and is wanted to visit the beaches of Normandy where his father fought in WWII. I was reading the guide on Italy and was having trouble deciding where to even start there...Crete and Dublin are not far off the list as well. That's not even counting all the places is England we still have to see!

Next weekend Ben has planned a surprise trip for my birthday. He's been planning for weeks and I haven't accidentally spoiled it YET! All I know is we are going on a train.

This weekend we walked up Cowley Road to Shiraz, a Lebanese restaurant, for lunch. The neighborhood is fairly diverse, compared to most of Oxford, and has a lot of Asian and Middle Eatern shops and restaurants. Today, we walked out to Wolvercote Cemetery to visit JRR Tolkien's gravestone. As you can see, it was fairly modest, a lot like him. There were signs that lead the way to his grave and the grass around the site is a bit more worn from all the visitors, but the headstone itself is small. He did have his and his wife's elvish names on the headstone.

This week was also the end of the Hilary term (not as in Hilary Clinton) which also means Ben is done teaching Mathematical Physiology (for now).

Well, check back next week and I'll be sure to let you know where the surprise trip was to.

No comments: