Sunday, November 4, 2007

Postings Will Be Random from Here on Out...

We have so much to tell you all! Where to start? I usually try to get things written out chronologically. So let’s if you can keep up.

A little prelude, as many of you might know I was working as an advertising copywriter in Chicago before we left. I’ve been torn between choosing a retail/café job here in Oxford (while spending more time at home and doing my creative writing), finding freelance work where I can here, or schlepping it all the way to London everyday for a resume boosting London agency job. Well, in the course of a week, I have some how managed to get a good chance at all three—how’s that for NOT helping the decision making process?!

This is how it went on Wednesday:
11:00 am – Drop off resume (CV) at café
11:15 am – Call from an Oxford agency about future possibilities for freelance with them (and interview)
2:00 pm – Interview with café
2:15 pm – Job offer from café (with an “I’ll need the weekend to think about it” response)
3:00 pm – Call from a headhunter who wants to interview me Friday for a job at an agency in London

About the café, it is a family owned café in the Gloucester Green plaza. It is owned by the parents and operated by their son and daughter. I’ll save the agency details until the interviews (don’t want to jinx them)… but I should have the London agency interview in a week or so. But for now the café people have agreed to let me work there till I hear one way or another about these other two jobs. I’d like to think it is just because they like me so much, but I think they just really need someone. I am looking forward to starting tomorrow! (Free coffee!) Hence the early blog post and random ones till further notice.

We spent Friday in LONDON for the first time! My interview with the headhunter was at 11 then we had the rest of the day to ourselves. Before going to the British Museum we had lunch at The Plough, an old English pub. I had a half of London Pride, a cheddar and apple chutney sandwich with chips (fries)—Ben had a glass of water and nachos. (Now, who isn’t adapting kids? I won’t name any names, Ben.) After a few floors of the Museum, where we saw the Rosetta Stone, some Samurai gear, and a lot of Egyptian mummies, we headed toward Victoria Station. In route we saw Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery, Parliament on Downing Street, Westminster Abbey, and BIG Ben! Ben, being one of the bells inside, not the clock itself. And a very nice name, I say.

Saturday we stayed close by and visited the Museum of Oxford then moseyed on over to the travel agency across the street and bought our tickets to come home for Christmas!!

We are leaving from Heathrow on 12 December (<--CLICK ME) and returning on 2 January. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get a few days in Chicago like I was hoping, only a layover on the way home. We were just lucky to get home. And of course we can’t wait.

Also, to share some culture with you, tomorrow night is Guy Fawkes Night. They celebrate with fireworks and bonfires, often referred to as Bonfire Night too. Read up at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night (or click his name I've been adding links).

An lastly, as the sun sets on this posting check out some of the sunset pictures I’ll be posting from a walk we took earlier this week in at the Port Meadow. Hope everyone is doing well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy!
Hope all is well. I am absolutely loving your blog. It is a very interesting read!!
Well just an FYI: Steve came by and I read the whole blog to him so he is now up to date on how you and Ben are, and I mean I read the ENTIRE blog........surprised I still have a voice.

We got together for a ghost haunting, pretty informational. We started out at Resurrection Cemetary to search for Resurrection Mary (and also to pay respect to some grandparents.) Unfortunately it was closed. We drove past the Willowbrook ballroom where she is frequently spotted. Then drove down a very nice tree decorated road for what seemed like hours(the leaves were pretty though) to St. John of Sag. The cemetary was built by Irish Immigrants back when they were working on the canal in the 1800s and it is a very hilly cemetary. There are headstones that date back to 1819, very neat!

After we picked up Marcus, we went to the Eastland Disaster Location, and even went past the Excalibur, this That Restaurant, and Harpo Studios which were apparently the three locations that the people who perished on the Eastland were buried. We took pics at every location to see if we could spot orbs.

We then headed to the Biograph theater and took a picture in the alley next to it, where Dillinger was shot, to see if we could catch anything.
We didn't get to head into the Red Lion Pub, but eventually we will go because the owner is knocking it down to make it more "modern"

Of course all this ghost hunting made us hungry and we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for some good food!

Other than that everything has been good.
Got a raise at my job, Yay!!

Talk to you soon. I'm sad we won't be able to see you for Christmas. But look for my card!!
Love you both, miss you!
-Heather :)

The Beaverhausen Review said...

Wow that is so good to know. I always thought Big Ben was the clock. As it turns out then it's the bell. I'm surprised that I wasn't told this when i was down there. Hmm lousy tour guide. Wait I can't say that she was awesome. Maybe I was so in aww that I paid no attention to that info. Hell I have so many picture I forgot what the places where, lol!

Jess said...

Sounds like at least one of you is settling in well! :) Good luck with the London Agency interview, Amy!